Sunday, August 17, 2008

Just "Peachy"



It may seem surprising for Ontario but there is an abundance of beautiful fresh fruit available in the summer time.

The Niagara region of Ontario is famous for wine and stone fruit. Cherries, apricots, nectarines and my favourite peaches! So when the markets start to carry them I always make sure to pick some up.
To me when you can buy local you SHOULD! and peaches are the epitomy of local farm fresh food I love.

My oven as most of you know is STILL broken so I resort yet again to my grill...ummm can anyone say Bobby Flay?
I saw him make peach crumble on the BBQ the other day and so of course I had to try.
The recipe SO simple!

The whole process takes 30 minutes from start to finish and you have a wonderful dessert with TONS of summer flavour.




Peach Crumble:
Adapted from Bobby Flay's Boy meets Grill

8 freestone peaches, halved and stones removed
Handful of granola (not instant)
Handful of brown sugar
1/4 cup of butter melted
Cinnamon, to taste

* now you can add flour if you want. I made the recipe as is and I think the next time I will add flour to my crumble mixture but it's totally up to you.*

Turn your BBQ/grill up to high and place peahes on till they have nice grill marks about 4 minutes, turn and grill for another 4 minutes.

Remove from grill.

Slice peaches and place either in a large ovenproof dish or in individual dishes.

Mix granola, brown sugar, cinnamon and melted butter together. (at this point I would add the optional flour and make a crumble)

Place on top of the peaches.

Place dish on to cookie sheet and put directly on BBQ, set the temp on medium or whatever will give you close to 350 -400 degrees shut the lid and leave for about 15 - 20 minutes or until crumble is brown.

*You can lower the temp if it starts to turn brown to quickly*

The recipe calls for caramel sauce and ice cream, I vanilla frozen yogurt and made a quick caramel sauce using:

Quick caramel sauce:
handful of brown sugar
couple tbsp of unsalted butter
1/4 c. heavy cream

Place brown sugar and butter in small pot and melt.

Once bubbling turn down heat, add cream and stir till incorporated

That's it!

3 comments:

Helene said...

Very creative! I bet it did have a lot of great flavors!

NOT SO VANILLA said...

Thanks so much! Yes the BBQ has become my makeshift oven.LOL!

Allison Jones said...

Oh, wow. yum!