Friday, August 7, 2009

Summer Eats

Living in Ontario you come to appreciate summer a whole bunch since it only takes up at most 3 months of the year. This is the time when people descend upon Farmer's Market's in mass, buying everything fresh and local possible.
This year I had been trying to find squash blossoms at the market and every time came up empty handed :(.
So when I went to my mum's one day she gave me a container and said "look inside".
Well my reaction was a bit like a child on Christmas who just received a pony...seriously. On top of that I also received some candy cane beets, which if anyone has seen them are the coolest veg out there.


These aren't really recipes but just an excuse to show off my bounty. I will give a recipe for the nectarine vinagrette. Also I stuffed the c=blossoms with mozzarella and basil.
So go out fellow Ontarian's and hit you local farmer's market to support our local growers and make some kickin' summer eats.


Nectarine Vinagrette:
- Juice of 2 nectarines ( I squeezed the leftover pulp off mine) yields about 2 tbsp
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar or white wine
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- salt and pepper
* These are rough estimates, so really make it to your taste.

No comments: