Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Curried Cous Cous Salad



A couple of weekends ago, my good friend invited me to her Bridal shower. I'm not very well versed in this sort of occassion. I've only been to 1 other bridal shower before, but as I start into my late 20's it seems that at least 1 weekend every month is starting to fill up with a wedding or bacherolette. I got 3 invitations in a span of 2 weeks! Wedding pictures are starting to pop up all over my Facebook of long lost friends from highschool or elementary school in beautiful white gowns and their partners in penguin suits.

Ok sorry, I digrese.
The one thing that I love about the all of 2 showers I've been to, is the FOOD! I love any excuse to sit around with friends and talk, drink and EAT! The 2 girls that hosted the beautiful bridal shower put on a spread of food that would bring a tear to any foodie's eye.
One dish that I loved, was the curried cous cous salad. It was the perfect mix of spice, savoury and a bit of sweet from some dried cranberries. A few days after the shower I decided to dissect the recipe in my head and give it a try.

Curried Cous Cous Salad:
2 - 3 cups cous cous
1 chicken stock cube or veggie cube
1 1/2 tbsp of curry powder (medium)
3 scallions, sliced finely
1/2 red onion, small dice
1 red pepper, small dice
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 dried fruit, I used raisins and dried papaya
salt and pepper
2 tbsp chopped cilantro and parsley

Prepare cous cous by adding the curry powder and stock to boiled water as per cous cous directions.
Once done fluff cous cous with a fork to break apart.
Add all remaining ingredients together and stir with fork.
Add any additional seasining necessary.

Serves about 6 (as a side)

No comments: